A WV Auto Accident Attorney Fighting for Southern West Virginians
West Virginia is known as the Mountain State, and for good reason. Driving up, over, and around the wild and wonderful West Virginia roads can be a fun and exciting adventure. However, the adventure can be ruined in an instant when involved in a car accident. If you or a loved one has been injured due to another driver’s negligence, you need to consider hiring an experienced WV auto accident attorney close to home, someone who knows the laws of the state and will protect your rights.
Do I Need a WV Auto Accident Attorney?
An analysis of data compiled from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) revealed that WV is ranked twelfth in the nation in terms of total fatalities. Each state was ranked based on these five factors:
- Total fatality rate per 100 million miles traveled;
- Number of fatalities caused by drunk driving;
- Number of fatalities resulting from failure to obey traffic laws;
- Number of fatalities caused by speeding; and
- Number of fatalities attributed to careless driving.
These are staggering statistics. After suffering the pain and mental stress an accident causes, no one wants to add a fight over an insurance claim into the mix. To ensure you are treated fairly and that you receive full compensation, you need an experienced WV auto accident attorney on your side from the start.
Steps to Take after an Accident Occurs
After a car accident, people are often frightened, confused, and emotional. However, there are some important steps you need to remember to protect not only your health but your legal rights.
- If anyone involved has been injured, seek medical help immediately. Your health and that of other passengers or drivers should be your first priority.
- Stay at the scene of the accident and call the police. Officers will need to investigate and complete a WV Traffic Crash Report to determine how the accident occurred, which helps prove who is at fault.
- Remain silent about who is to blame. This may seem simple, but admitting fault is one of the most common mistakes people make when the adrenaline is running high after an accident. Something as simple as an apology can be used against you.
- Take down the name, license number, address, and insurance information of the other driver. It is also important to take notes on statements he or she may give before and after the police arrive.
- Preserve as much evidence as possible. Use your cell phone to take pictures and video of the scene of the accident. Record voice memos regarding the traffic, road conditions, weather conditions, witness statements, and the names of the police officers investigating the incident.
- The most important step to protecting yourself may be contacting a WV auto accident attorney immediately. Before signing anything, consult a lawyer.
Types of Compensation Available
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one due to another driver’s negligence, you have rights under WV state laws. The law provides for potential recovery of a variety of damages:
- Current and future medical costs;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Property damage;
- Funeral expenses; and
- Loss of companionship.
However, there is a deadline for filing a claim. Once the statute of limitations expires, the courts no longer have the authority to order fair compensation to victims. You need a car accident attorney in WV who understands the Mountain State’s legal system and its complexities.
Why Hire a WV Auto Accident Attorney?
One of the biggest reasons to hire a lawyer after an auto accident is that insurance companies are not on your side. They are businesses that are out to make money, not give it away. Insurance companies are not concerned about you or your family. They will try to give you the least possible amount for your claim.
Jason Harwood of Harwood Legal is a skillful, experienced attorney from Southern WV who will fight to make sure you receive the compensation you deserve. He has been driving West Virginia’s country roads for most of his life and knows the dangers they contain. Jason has also been successfully representing families injured in car accidents in his local region for years. He cares for each client, and he wants to help you.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, contact WV auto accident attorney, Jason Harwood at (304) 752-5015 or complete the online contact form. Put his experience and knowledge to work for you.
Looking for an experienced, compassionate, and skilled attorney close to home? Harwood Legal, PLLC is here to help.